Monday, October 27, 2008

Happy Halloween



VHOM
BORLEY RECTORY
MML044 / 2xCD-R
LIMITED EDITION OF 38 COPIES

Conceived in 2004, worked on, abandoned, reignited, trashed, reconstructed, abandoned again, regurgitated...and now, complete. A record that, musically, would've been a Brian Grainger album, but arrived at a time when I wasn't quite ready to release works under my own name yet. Having been a work in progress for so long, the amount of material I was faced with shaping into this final product was overwhelming! So, having a fondness for the long-form, I opted to do a double CD set with this. Yes, I know, right on the heels of my collaborative double-album with Jhonn-Paul, but the fact is that this record has been in the waiting line for a lot longer, and my collaborative release was a totally improvised, spur-of-the-moment beast. If I haven't scared you away with this daunting set yet, it might come with some surprise that this project is and has been the pinnacle of my fascination with all manner of dark and occult things. EVPs, videogames like Silent Hill, old library books about haunted houses, getting scared and hearing things at my Dad's house in the country, Stephen King, "Tales From The Darkside", the original 60's run of "The Outer Limits", Murnau's 1922 silent-film "Nosferatu"...all thrown together with musical reference points like Aube, Merzbow, Masonna, Lustmord, Pocahaunted and that creep-out middle part of Pink Floyd's "Echoes". In short, I wanted to create the creepiest, most convincing haunted atmosphere I could, without seeming dated or contrived. Hopefully, it worked, or at least I feel like it might have for me. Even after making this album myself, it still gives me shivers to listen to late at night, alone, reading "The Road Virus Heads North", hearing EVERY SOUND in my house, and being so scared that I have to pull the sheets over my head to sleep! Delivered (hopefully) to you on the best possible night of the year for that, Borley Rectory is a spooky ghost story from me to all of you this Halloween! Limited to only 38 copies, which is a very short run, so they may be gone within the week, but I want to keep this album's appearance short and sweet.

FOR MP3 CLIPS PHOTO/VIDEO AND ORDER INFO:

CLICK!



BRIAN GRAINGER
LATENT CLOAK
MML041 / 3" CD-R
LIMITED EDITION OF 50 COPIES

A pagan wedding song for all of you harvest celebrators here...dressed in pumpkin orange and as loud as a Scotsman who is burning alive in the bowels of a giant wicker man (ha ha), this is something that'll carve itself into your head, Jack-O-Lantern style. And, if you listen carefully enough, under the torrential waves of sound-destruction, you can scratch out the raw sound of Autumn, melted down and flattened into 50 three-inch discs.

FOR MP3 CLIPS PHOTOS AND ORDER INFO:

CLICK!



P.S - I also made a minimal promo video for the track "Baseroom" from Borley Rectory. Check it out!



No comments: